Embark on an enriching full-day tour where you'll uncover Mt. Horaiji's rich history, stunning natural scenery and spiritual significance. This captivating journey combines cultural exploration with a moderate walk (going down the third-largest staircase in Japan, instead of up!).
You'll see a number of significant landmarks and viewpoints, including Mt. Horaiji's shrine, temple, Buddhist stone monuments, stone steps and temple street. On Saturday tours we visit the beautiful river nearby.
Walk in the footsteps of 1,300 years of history!
- All-day tour, possible as a day trip from Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka.
- Explore the historical significance of Mt. Horaiji, with its 1,300+ years of Buddhist heritage.
- Immerse yourself in the serene beauty of the landscapes and views from the trails and lookouts.
- Enjoy a delicious bento lunch from a local restaurant, while enjoying panoramic views from near the main temple.
- Visit the remarkable shrine, itself steeped in over 300 years of history and cultural significance.
- Discover the essence of Mt Horaiji through a captivating journey of cultural exploration and natural beauty.
- An easier way to explore Mt. Horaiji’s ancient 1,400+ stone steps - going down instead of up!
- Spiritual significance
- Mt Horaiji holds great significance in Buddhism, with a legacy spanning over 1,300 years. As we journey through the mountain's landscapes you'll have the opportunity to explore and immerse yourself in its rich history.
Follow in the footsteps of pilgrims who travelled to Mt. Horaiji for centuries. The mountain still has amazing scenery and atmosphere on most rainy days!
- Join us on an adventure of cultural discovery and natural exploration, where you'll have the opportunity to discover the essence of Mt Horaiji. Come along and create lasting memories as we explore this remarkable mountain, covering approximately 6-7 kilometres on foot. Please note: a basic level of fitness is needed for this tour, as we will be walking and climbing down a long staircase, with breaks.
- Visit the site below to see more or make a booking!
- Holding Time
- Tours run all year round, except for Sundays and the middle of Summer (July and August).
- Meeting point: Toyohashi Station
Tour starts: Yuyaonsen Station
Tour explores the Mt. Horaiji area.
Tour ends: Hon-Nagashino Station
- Up to 2 people:
3 or more:
¥30,000 + ¥1,000 each for the third and extra guests
Please see inclusions and exclusions in the FAQs on the tour website.
- Related Web Sites
Get directions on Google Maps
By Public Transport
- Alex will meet you at Toyohashi Station (which is on the Tokaido Shinkansen line), then we take an express train to Yuyaonsen Station for the start of the tour.
- If travelling by car we will discuss a meeting location closer to Mt. Horaiji with you before the tour - we can change the tour slightly for you as we will have extra time, and we can also run the tour on Sundays.