Japan's autumn foliage is considered to be the most beautiful in the world. The reason for that is because there are many deciduous broad-leaved trees that can't be found in other places, and they turn to a blend of different colors—vivid red, yellow, orange, and so on. The best time to see the autumn foliage at Mt. Horaji is from mid-November onward. During this period, various events take place all over Mt. Horaiji. Autumn foliage on the main temple approach makes it looks like a bright red carpet has been rolled out along it. When night falls, the trees are illuminated and you can see beautiful scenes all over the mountain. There's also an event called "the one thousand burning lights" in which people light candles and place them in bamboo tubes all along the main temple approach. The lit candles along the approach and the illuminated autumn foliage are a fantastic sight that will surely make a wonderful memory.
Horaiji 1, Kadoya, Shinshiro City
- Phone Number
- 0536-29-0829 (Shinshiro City Tourism Association)
- Yes, around the approach if a caretaker is present.
- Neighboring Facilities
- - Horaisan Toshogu Shrine: 0536-35-1176
- Mt. Horaiji Natural Science Museum: 0536-35-1001
- 1,300 parking spaces
Get directions on Google Maps
- 9 km (15 min.) from the Shin-Tomei Expressway Shinshiro I.C. by car
- Approx. 55 min., 25 km from the Toyokawa I.C. by car
- Approx. 25 min., 15 km from the Horaikyo I.C. by car